Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Despite switching horses, Matt Reeves keeps winning

When Reeves’ horse Do Get Famous “Rattle,” the 2019 Steer Wrestling Purina Horse of the Year presented by AQHA, passed away, it was a devastating blow to last season's Wrangler National Finals Rodeo average winner. Rattle passed away of a ruptured stomach. She was 8. Reeves, who is leading the PRCA | RAM World Standings with $82,929, fortunately still had Roy, 12, in his stable. “Roy has stepped up, and maybe they know (when a horse passes away),” said Reeves, 41. “I have won a pile of money on Roy. I won The American on him in 2018, I won rounds at Calgary (Stampede) on him and I won first, first and first at Pecos (Texas) last year. That horse has placed at every rodeo he’s been to this year and won multiple checks, except for Jackson, Miss., and that’s because we didn’t do our part. He was already a very, very good horse, he just wasn’t her (Rattle).” Reeves acknowledged having Roy saved his season. “I would have been lost had I not had another horse,” he said. “I’m looking for something else to train now so I can get something going so I will have two again, but I haven’t found that horse that I want to try and make. He (Roy) was a great horse, and she (Rattle) came along. I bought her because I thought she had the ability and all of a sudden, she surpassed him (Roy). People called him (Roy) the back-up horse all last year because we would ride him other places. It was hard to put the back-up label on him. I would call him the other horse.”...MORE

No comments: